The settlement can be found in the Tiszántúl region an average of 85-95 feet above the sea level. This area named Szanda meadow was a flood basin of Tisza river, with an altitude of 85 feet and this meadow has got an alluvial soil.The core of the town is situated about 10 meter higher sometimes with sand covered parts.The sand reaches its maximal thickness toward southeast where it was mined. The city is bounded by two water surfaces: from west meander the Tisza river and from north the still water of Alcsi-Holt-Tisza.
History of Szandaszőlős
Szandaszőlős area has been inhabited since the Neolithic Age. In the archaeological excavations were found: Neolithic Bronze Age settlements, Copper Age, Bronze Age tombs, Szarmatian and the Migration Period pits,from the 10-11th century, from conquest period, Sarmatian, Gepidic cemeteries. Several places of occurrence from Scythian period were found in Szolnok and near the city, in Szandaszőlős was found a mug during the excavations.The Scythians were replaced by the Celts,thereafter Iranian Sarmatians settled around the city. The Sarmatian population had a war or trade relationship with the Roman Empire as among the excavated artifacts were found many Roman coins, weapons, jewelry, pottery.In the Migration period Sarmatian living in the Szolnok area came under the rule of Gepids. In 1952 during the enlargement of military airport 223 Sarmatian and Gepidic graves were discovered where very rich finds were revealed: gilded and ornate brooches, iron weapons and bone combs, belt clips and dishes.
The Hungarian Szandaszőlős is an Árpád- era village.The first written mention of Szandaszőlős comes from 1075/ Zunde/, in 1470 it was named Zonda.During the Turkish occupation it was completely depopulated. In 1775 according to the contract of Count Károly
Keglevich and Szolnok agricultural city 210 hosts from Szolnok established a vineyard. The school still functioning was established in 1891. The first cultural memory of the settlementpart the statue of St. Orban was made in 1902. Szandaszőlős became from parts of Szolnok an independent village in 1950, then in 1968 became it part of the city again.
In 1939 started the construction of the military airport and as a result in autumn 1940 three air corps were transferred to here. The Hungarian Aviation Museum is located next to the military airport.The Museum has got rich military and passenger aircraft collection.
Source and further information: Wikipédia